Teen parties typically include pizza, chicken wings, a variety of chips, sweets and soda that are high in calories, fat, sodium and sugar. Compound this with a trip to the movie theater snack aisle and you’ve got a nutritional nightmare. Today’s, WZZM, Take 5 “On the Menu” segment gives you great suggestions on how to host a healthy pre Twilight screening party in your home.
Check out our menu below. All recipes courtesy of Sous Chef Bryan Nader
Edward Bites: Mini Veggie Burgers
Bella’s First Dish: Mushroom Ravioli Wontons
Blood Type A,B,C: Red Licorice Straws
Bloody Martinis: Red Punch
Werewolf Chow: Party Mix
Finger Food: String Cheese Sticks
Cullen Skewers: Caprese Salad Skewers
Devil’s Delight: Low Fat Sugar Thumb Print Cookies
Cheese Fingers (Finger Food)
- Low Fat Mozzarella String Cheese
- Green Bell Pepper
- Low Fat Cream cheese
- Use a paring knife to cut each string in half and then carve a shallow area for a fingernail just below the rounded end of each half.
- Mark the joint right below the nail as well as the knuckle joint by carving out tiny horizontal wedges of cheese
- For the fingernails, slice a green bell pepper into 3/8-inch-wide strips. Set the strips skin side down on your work surface and trim the pulp so that it’s about half as thick. Then cut the strips into ragged-topped nail shapes and stick them in place at the ends of the fingers with dabs of low-at cream cheese.
Mushroom Ravioli Wontons (Bella’s First Dish)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 pounds assorted fresh mushrooms, such as button, cremini, and shiitake, brushed clean, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for serving
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Unsalted butter, for serving
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, for serving
- Coarsely chop mushrooms; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley, and cook 1 minute more. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms first release their liquid and then liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. . Transfer to a bowl, and cool briefly before stirring in Parmesan and low fat ricotta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread semolina on a baking sheet; set aside. Place 2 Wonton wrappers on work surface. Work with two pieces at a time, keeping remaining pieces covered with a damp towel. Place sheet on a lightly floured surface. Place 1 heaping measuring teaspoons of mushroom filling in the center of the wrapper. Moisten wonton skin around each mound of filling, using a pastry brush dipped in water. Place 2nd skin over the filling to enclose; press around filling to seal. Cut between mounds with a plain pastry wheel or biscuit cutter. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cover with a clean kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Chill until ready to cook. The ravioli can be prepared ahead of time up to this point and frozen. Place baking sheet in freezer until ravioli are frozen. Transfer ravioli to a freezer bag, and keep frozen for up to 2 months.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add about 6 ravioli per serving, and cook until tender but al dente, about 2 minutes (slightly longer if frozen). In a skillet, melt ½ tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of oil with 1 sprig of thyme for each serving. When ravioli are done, use a slotted spoon to remove from boiling water. Drain well, and transfer to skillet. Toss in butter, and divide among warm bowls. Top with shaved Parmesan and freshly ground pepper.
9 cups of Corn Chex
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup reduced fat creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1-gallon ziplock bags
Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium microwavable bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave on High for 1 minute and stir. Microwave 30 seconds longer and stir mixture until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour sauce over cereal and stir until evenly coated. Spoon half of the mixture in each 1-gallon resealable ziplock bag. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar to each bag, and seal. Shake the bag until everything is coated. Spread on waxed/parchment paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Mini Veggie Burger (Edward Bites)
2 cups cooked brown lentils (about ¾ cup uncooked)
2 cups cooked quinoa (about ½ cup uncooked)
1½ cups mashed sweet potato
2 cups onion, diced (I only used 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup kale, very finely chopped (if it isn’t very fine, your burger will break apart)
1½ cups oats (either old-fashioned or quick)
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. chili sauce, such as Sriracha
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent. Season them with salt about half way through the cooking process.
2. Combine ALL of the ingredients in a large bowl. Get in there with your hands and really mash it up so it is combined well. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
3. Form patties..
4. Use about ½ Tbsp. of oil (grapeseed, canola or vegetable) per patty. Heat oil over high in a large skillet (do not let the oil smoke). CAREFULLY place the patties in the pan. Cook them 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel lined tray. Serve with favorite toppings
Caprese Salad Skewers
24 Cherry or Grape tomatoes
24 leaves of fresh basil
1 lb fresh mozzarella cut into 24, ½ inch pieces
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Place one cherry tomato on skewer, followed by mozzarella and basil leaf.
- Place on a platter and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
1 (46oz) bottle of diet fruit punch
1 (46oz) bottle of apple juice
1 (46-48oz) bottle of cranberry juice
1 (2 liter) diet ginger-ale
Combine all ingredients into a large punch bowl, add ice and stir.