- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare brown rice by boiling in low sodium beef stock.
- Destem red peppers removing seeds and ribs by carefully cutting a hole around the top.
- Saute lean ground beef or turkey and sausage. Drain fat off.
- Add onion, garlic and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper and continue cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Brush or spray the outside of each pepper with extra virgin olive oil and place in an oversized muffin cup.
- Stuff peppers. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information (using lean ground beef): 291 calories, 17 fat gms, 7 saturated fat gms, 61 cholesterol mg, 460 sodium mg, 24 carbohydrate gms, 4 fiber gms, 18 protein gms, 7.5% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 11% Calcium, 8% Iron, 11% Selenium, 12% Zinc, Weight Watcher points 8