If increased access to specialty coffees and other beverages have you tightening up your waist line this holiday season, today’s “On the Menu” segment will help you skinny them both back down. Starbucks has many of us trained to anticipate the Pumpkin Spice Latte at the start of the school year through Thanksgiving and now they’re promoting Caramel Brulee, Gingerbread, Eggnog and Toffee Nut Lattes, Peppermint and Cranberry White Chocolate Mocha for the winter holiday season. While you might love the flavor and warmth as you shop for holiday gifts or even groceries, they are loaded with sugar, fat and whipped cream. They can be one more added expense that leads to holiday weight gain creep if you don’t budget for the added calories and cost.
Nutritional Facts: Grande (16 oz) Whole Milk
|Beverage||Calorie (kcal)||Fat (g)||Carb (g)||Protein (g)|
|Caramel Brulee Latte||310||6||59||7|
|Pumpkin Spice Latte||340||10||49||14|
|Toffee Nut Latte||380||11||58||16|
|Cranberry White Chocolate Mocha||430||15||60||14|
Tips to Skinny Back
Remember that every drink is custom made!
- Choose soy or non-fat milk as your base. The difference between 1 cup of whole milk versus non-fat milk is 120 calories and 8 grams of fat!
- Ask for unsweetened syrups or ask them to ½ the regular syrup. Each reduction or swap saves you an average of 45 calories.
- Ask for a Short (8oz) or Tall (12 oz) instead of the Grande (16 oz) or Vente (20 oz) instead of Grande. This 4 oz reduction saves you anywhere from 70 to 120 calories!
- Skip the whipped cream. ¼ cup = 40 calories and 3 grams of fat. Definitely don’t go “Heavy on the whip please!”
- Choose the Bold Pick of the Day, Decaf or Pikes Place Roast for a mere 5 calories, no fat or sugar.
- Skip the bakery case. My favorite blueberry scone adds on an additional 420 calories and an old-fashioned glazed donut adds 480 calories. Instead, opt for the no-fat Greek yogurt with raspberry puree topped with granola for 310 calories or a Michigan Cherry Oat Bar for 240 calories.