Halloween is the big kick off into the winter holidays and in terms of challenging our attempts to make healthy choices, it’s a doozy! According to the National Institutes of Health, the Average American gains about 1-2 pounds over the holidays and this window has just opened for many of us. Here are a few do’s and dont’s to help you fend off this annual weight creep at your house.
- Chew sugar-free gum, keep your mouth busy.
- Add in extra work-outs to amp up your calorie burn.
- Store the candy bowl out of sight, the fruit bowl in sight.
- Sport a water bottle, detox naturally.
- Catch up on your sleep, lack of Zzz’s unleashes hunger.
- Raid your children’s candy bag, after they leave for school.
- Eat more than one mini, they add up to maxis.
- Skip meals to make up candy calories, less will = more.
- Bring in the excess to work, adults have more to “lose”.
- Buy discounted Halloween candy, just walk on by.
Remember the game Chutes and Ladders? (Candyland would be more apropos.) The ladder to lose weight is so much harder and steeper to climb than the slide into weight gain! Enjoy this start to the holiday season, in good health.
Categories: Nutrition & Wellness