Savor the flavor of three food groups in every bite! This is a 5 star family fav and has a high guest wow factor! It’s easy to make, but do let it simmer so the flavors bloom before they hit your palate! Leftovers port well in lunches where they can be refrigerated and the brown rice base, sodium and potassium fuel complex carbohydrates and electrolytes for an after work or school workout.
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
- 1 pound Shrimp, Pealed and Deveined
- 3/4 pound Turkey Sausage, Ground and Cooked
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 5 Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 3 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 1/4 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (this will increase your sodium to just shy of 1,000 mg so skip or go lightly)
- Prepare brown rice in 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock.
- Saute the onion, celery and red pepper in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Combines rice and vegetables in a large skillet. Add remaining ingredients including the 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken stock. Simmer for 5 minutes and enjoy.
This dish partners well with crisp green beans, asparagus or broccoli to round up the fiber content and keep you fuller longer.
322 calories, 27 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fiber, 12 gm fat, 2.5 gm saturated fat, 29 gm protein, 537 mg sodium and 380 mg potassium, 52% daily value vitamin A, 19% B12, 52% vitamin C, 22% iron, 8% zinc.