Is it a meal or snack? Is it portion controlled or performance enhancing? Is the focus on fiber or protein and is it free of, GMO’s, gluten, artificial flavorings and food dyes, the list is endless. I’ve tested tons of bars with all kinds of suggested advantages in the past year and new products continue to land on my doorstep. Honestly I haven’t blogged about every shipment because I’ve tasted some awful concoctions of healthful nutrients that just don’t belong together, stick to your teeth or smell like vitamins. Yet, portable, snackable, good for you bars are in demand based on these annual growth statistics from Packaged Facts.
|Year||$ Million||% Change|
So what makes Zing Nutrition Bars different? They are created, owned and operated by Registered Dietitian Nutritionists! Can you believe it? David Ingalls, Minh Hai Alex, Sandi Kaplan and Kathleen Putnam are all Registered Dietitians with a Masters in Science. They wanted a better on-the-go choice for their patients and their kids, so they sought to create one themselves. Zing Bars are free of gluten and soy protein, they use a variety of protein sources, slow-burning carbohydrates, heart healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber to keep you fuller longer. They claim they taste amaZING (gotta laugh) and boast these benefits:
- 11 Vegan & non-GMO certified options
- Certified gluten-free
- 9-13 grams of sugar/bar but free of corn and corn syrup with low glycemic ingredients
- 10-13 gram of protein from a variety of plants, whey and no soy
- No trans fat or tropical oils focusing on heart healthy, monounsaturated sources
- No preservatives
- Organic focus in their choice of ingredients
- No sugar alcohols which causes gastric distress in many
- Reasonable sodium limit at 85 milligrams on average
- Higher in fiber at 4-8 grams per bar
- Normal calorie load at 190-210 per bar
Meet the bars along with their protein source.
Five bars are dripping in antioxidant rich, Peruvian dark chocolate
- Dark Chocolate Mint – Rice & Pea
- Dark Chocolate Mocha – Rice & Sunflower Seeds
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter – Peanuts & Whey
- Dark Chocolate Coconut – Almonds & Rice
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut – Rice, Hazelnut, Almond & Pea
I’d challenge any one of these bars against the annual Girl Scout cookie or Oreo’s latest and greatest offering.
Four are more moist and chewy like a freshly baked cookie:
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip – Cashew, Rice & Pea
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – Peanuts & Rice
- Double Nut Brownie – Almond, Rice, Pea & Hazelnut
- Coconut Cashew Crisp – Rice, Cashew & Quinoa
Three are nut butter and fruit for a more toffee like bar:
- Lemon Cashew Crunch – Rice, Whey & Cashew
- Cashew Cranberry Orange – Cashew & Rice
- Almond Blueberry – Almond, Whey & Rice
When I unwrapped the latter, I thought they would be a sticky mess but was happy to find non tacky, chewy with a natural, real fruit flavor.
Zing Nutrition Bars average a little over $2.00 per bar and can be purchased direct from http://www.zing.com or on Amazon. My favorite from each category was the Dark Chocolate Mint, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and Lemon Cashew Crunch. What’s your fav?